Saron Free Lutheran Church closes after 134 years of service
Tue, 07/23/2019 - 10:07am
admin
On July 14, 2019 another small country church closed its doors bringing to close 134 years of service that began with the first settlers in the area in 1883.
Gathered on this very humid and hot July Sunday, 55+ people attended the last service to be held at Saron in a final goodbye. Many came early to have a chance to wander around the cemetery and church before the final Sunday service began at 2 p.m. with Pastor Alan Arneson from Calvary Free Lutheran Church in Fosston presiding. He has served Saron for 14 years.
The program included lots of special music played and sung by people who have ties to the church even though they no longer live in the area and past members. Singers & musicians included Darlene Macomber, Jill Cooper, Deb Rewertz, Jody Benedick, Jessie Hamrum and Lowell Hamrum.
Two of the oldest members were present, Myrtle Hamrum, 95 and her brother Omer Frette, (around 90).
Many of the people attending if they weren’t members had family that were still members or had loved ones buried in the Saron Cemetery. Many of these people continue to support the church whenever there is a need for shingling, upkeep, etc.
The President of the Association of Free Lutheran Congregations (AFLC) Rev. Lyndon Korhonen was also at the program and even though this is a sad time for everyone, gave an uplifting message that their work will continue, just in different ways.
There was a period of "Sharing Memories" for anyone willing to speak. Many took the opportunity to share their memories.
Myrtle Hamrum, who now lives in Alaska with her daughter Susan, told about the early days at the church before they had the annex/hall building which houses the kitchen and dining room. How they served lunch which included a sandwich, a piece of cake and cookie, all out of large dish pans which are still part of the kitchen today and they had to carry water from the small stream that flows by the church.
Jill Cooper, who now lives in California, told about all the chores, she and her brother Jody helped their father and mother Adrian & Sally Benedick as children growing up in this church.
Many others joined in the sharing and it was a nice way to say goodbye to an old friend.
The history of Saron Free Lutheran Church was printed in the program bulletin and is as follows:
Saron Lutheran is located in Badger Township of Polk County north of Erskine in an area formerly called Cisco. The first settlers came to this community in 1883. The first area worship gatherings were held in the homes of these settlers. In 1885 it was realized that there was a need for organized worship opportunities. On June 28th community members gathered for their first meeting to organize a congregation which was called Saron.
It is believed the word Saron comes from the phrase “rose of Sharon” out of the Old Testament in the Song of Solomon. In SOS 2:1 it reads, “I am the rose of Sharon and the lily of the valleys.” Sharon is the largest valley-plain in all of Palestine. It was a wide, fertile plain sporting many beautiful flowers. The person saying she is “rose of Sharon” was a Shulamite woman who apparently was Solomon’s bride.
Nowhere in the New Testament is Jesus referred to as the rose of Sharon, but he is referred symbolically. In the New Testament Jesus is referred to as the bridegroom and the church is his bride. God is using the “lover” analogy he wants us to have with his Son. The rose is considered the most perfect of all flowers and Jesus is perfect in God’s nature therefore he is the rose of Sharon.
Many records and history of Saron Lutheran were lost in 1977 when the Alfred and Gloria Qualley home was destroyed by fire. Much of the history of the church is recalled from the stories that have been passed on from generation to generation.
At the first organization meeting held in 1885, two acres of land was donated by Haldor S. Hestekin west of Cisco. One acre was for a cemetery and another for a church to be built on. This is the present site of Saron Lutheran with the church being built in 1889.
A pump organ was purchased in 1899 and was used until an electronic organ was purchased in 1977. In 2001 a new electric piano was purchased in memory of Sally Benedick.
The church’s original bell tower/steeple was erected in 1910. Due to deterioration it was rebuilt in 1980 at a cost of $6,148. Several other building updates have been made over the years with the latest being new front entry doors donated in memory of Darlene (Plante) Fjerstad by Kimberly & James Johnson.
Saron Lutheran’s annex/hall is unique in that it is a separate structure not attached to the church. The hall was built in 1933 with an addition and remodeling completed in 1976. At this time a well was dug and water system was put into the hall which also allowed for indoor bathroom facilities.
In most churches the Ladies Aid plays a vital role in the life of the church and this has certainly been true for Saron. The Ladies Aid was organized in 1889. Their mission work extends beyond the congregation having provided support to Pathways Bible Camp, Oak Grove High School, Lutheran World Relief, The Salvation Army and sister congregations to name a few.
Each Memorial Day they serve a free-will noon lunch with the proceeds being donated to the cemetery fund.
Youth education and activities at Saron Lutheran also played a vital role in the life of the congregation. Sunday school was started in 1896 with the Luther League being organized in 1915. Each year the Christmas program was presented by the Sunday School and sponsored by the Luther League. Due to the lack of young people in the congregation, Luther League was discontinued in 2006 and Sunday School in 2009.
In the years past, Saron Lutheran would be adorned with three Christmas trees at Christmas time. Candles would be lit on the trees during the Christmas program. “There was a Luther League boy stationed at each Christmas tree with a damp rag on a stick,” stated longtime member Mrytle Hamrum. “If a candle burned down or if a branch on the tree started on fire, it was the Luther Leaguer’s task to snuff it out with the damp rag!”
“Following the Christmas program, Luther Leaguer’s would serve a lunch to the congregational members,” said Myrtle Hamrum. “The lunch included a sandwich, a piece of cake and a cookie wrapped in a napkin served out of dishpans.”
During the 1970’s and 1980’s Saron Lutheran was blessed with the musical talents of a group called the Saronadors. Families involved with the group included the Benedick’s, Qualley’s, Plante’s, Civa’s, Cook’s, Tuenge’s, and Nordstrom’s. The Saronadors also performed at many other area churches.
Over the years many items or works have been donated to Saron Lutheran by congregational members of descendants of members often in memory of someone. Two outdoor additions to the church grounds include an arch over the gateway to the yard and a granite church sign both installed in 1998. The arch was donated by the George Lee family in memory of Mr. and Mrs. Carl Bjelland. The sign was given in memory of Mr. and Mrs. Edwin Tuenge by Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Tuenge.
Throughout the years, Saron Lutheran has been associated with different Lutheran Synods and denominations. Prior to 1961 it was the Evangelical Lutheran Church, flowed by the American Lutheran Church (ALC) in 1961. Saron was part of a three-point parish in 1980 which included Grace Lutheran in Erskine and Faith Lutheran in Mentor. Following a congregational meeting and vote, Saron chose to go independent due to costs associated with a three point parish.
In 1986 Saron Lutheran withdrew from the ALC when several Lutheran synods merged. Since 1987 Saron has been a part of the Association of Free Lutheran Congregations (AFLC) headquartered in Minneapolis, MN.
For the past 14 years Saron Lutheran has been led by the pastor of Calvary Free Lutheran Church of Fosston. Since 2004 it has been Pastor Alan Arneson.
Throughout the 134 years Saron Lutheran has served the Cisco area residents and its members have had many opportunities to celebrate, but they have also been faced with some challenges. A challenge the small rural congregation is faced with today is declining membership.
Saron Lutheran has been blessed with a heritage that has been passed down from generation to generation. Jesus is the foundation Saron was built on by its pioneers and the foundation its members continue to build on today. Psalm 125:3, “God has done great things for us, we are glad.” To God be the Glory!
Pastor Arneson thanked the congregation for being the most dedicated group people to continue for all these years naming the last active members in the church, Gloria Benedick, Lola Plante, Myrtle Hamrum, Tyrell & Natalia Hamrum & Elise, Jessie Hamrum, Alex Hamrum and Lowell & Margaret Hamrum.
