Historical Society to Mark Thirty Years in Shevlin Location with open house and cake!
Historical Society to Mark Thirty Years in Shevlin Location with open house and cake!
In the summer of 1996, the Clearwater County Historical society opened its new museum to the public after nearly three years of planning, renovation and moving. The new location was the former Shevlin School building.
The Clearwater County Historical Society was established in 1968 as a 501(c)(3) non–profit organization. The Society created a local history museum in 1974 in a former DNR office building near downtown Bagley. During the 1970s the Society acquired a number of historic buildings and a modest collection of local artifacts. During the 1980’s, however, the Historical Society languished, handicapped by limited space and limited funding. In 1988 there were 18 active members.
November of 1989 marked a new beginning for the Clearwater County Historical Society. At the 1989 annual meeting new leadership was elected to the Board of Trustees. Since then the Historical Society has experienced a phenomenal increase in membership and local support. Today membership is nearly 800 and we have more than 40,000 artifacts and photographs.
Following an evaluation and report made by professionals from the Institute of Museums and Library Services, who conducted a Museum Assessment, it was determined that the society needed to find a larger space, with more options for storage; a location that could be easily assessed from a major highway and with space to spread out the historical buildings and with room to add more.
The Old Shevlin School had been vacant for several years and was evaluated and deemed to be an appropriate museum location. The society purchased it from the city of Shevlin, and began a multi-year renovation project, transforming it into a space that could house and exhibit the county’s history.
Work began in the spring of 1994 and in August 1996, several historic buildings, formerly located in Bagley, were moved to Shevlin and the campus was opened to the public. The initial historic buildings included the Vern/ Alida School, built in 1936 by the WPA; an 1880's log school, which is the first school built in the county, the Halvorson log cabin (1890’s) from the Gonvick area. Later the Ebro Depot, a “box car” style Great Northern Railroad depot was added and still later, an agricultural exhibit building, a replica Church and the Trail gas station.
To celebrate 30 years of public programing, the History Center will be open Sunday June 28 1:00- 4:00. Cake and refreshments will be served. A short membership meeting will be held at 1:00. Tours are available not only for the historic buildings but also “behind the scenes” tours of the archives and storage spaces will also be available.
For more information call the History Center at 218-785-2000
